Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2011 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dracula

I went to see BalletMet's performance of Dracula on November 1st. The Humanities Scholars went with the Arts Scholars to see the ballet. It was spectacular and I really enjoyed it, well because I dance ballet myself. Throughout the performance, I kept on comparing it to the play version of Dracula that my high school performed. The ballet's version was much less gory and less dramatic than the play's version. I really loved the ballroom scene because the costumes were absolutely beautiful! It was different to watch a ballet from the audience's perspective because I haven't been to very many ballet performances. It was definitely an interesting experience!

3 comments:

  1. I did not attend Dracula because the tickets were already all sold, BUT I did go see something in it's place! I went and saw the Mystery of Sir Edwin Drood which was presented by the OSU Theatre Department. The musical was a great experience. It involved the audience a great deal and was rather comedic. I would definitely suggest this musical to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only attended two ballets in my life, with Dracula being my second. I was not too familiar with the story, nor did I know what to expect from the dancing since the first ballet I attended when I was very young. I loved Dracula. The dancers did such a good job of portraying emotion and drama and I had no trouble whatsoever following the story. Of course the scene-by-scene synopsis in the playbill helped as well. It was such a neat experience, and now I want to attend even more ballets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only ballet I had ever attended before Dracula was the Nutcracker, so I was going into this basically not knowing what to expect. The nutcracker is such a universally known story, whereas Dracula has been redone so many times, I wasn't sure what the actual story was. It was so cool to see all the dancers take such a dark story and make it so beautiful and athletic. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete