Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2011 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memphis!!!

I went to see Memphis and it was a really great musical! It would have to be one of my favorites! The actors were terrific. It was the story in the 1950s in Tennessee of a white man who plays "black" music for a radio station and falls in love with a black woman who sings very well. It was a very beautiful love story along with awesome musical talents and dancing. It was very funny as well. I would love to see this again some time and I think it is a great play for all.

5 comments:

  1. This was by far one of the best plays that I have seen performed. The cast was magnificent and their voices were simply superb. I even bought the DVD so that I could watch the performance again and again! Like Breanna mentioned, I would definitely see this play again! I believe the story was very engaging and the music rather catchy. Thank you, once again, for this opportunity and I am so grateful to have been able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with both Breanna and Scott. I have seen many musicals but the acting and singing in this musical blew me away. I was amazed at how long the actors could belt out their high notes. And I laughed almost every time that Huey Calhoun was on stage because he was just so goofy. I loved this musical and I recommend it for everyone to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a fantastic musical, the songs were great and the cast was very talented. I really enjoyed it overall, and I think I liked the plot in general, but I felt the ending was rather depressing, even though the ending song was incredibly upbeat. I just felt bad that Huey had worked so hard and gotten so far only to end up in a low place with nothing just because he didn't want to leave his beloved hometown. Still, it was an awesome show and it was a lot of fun to watch. I'm happy I had the opportunity to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone, this play was great! Memphis is such a fun city, especially for those who love jazz music, so seeing a play that brings the city to life is awesome! The music in Memphis was great and the main character, I think Felicia, had a huge voice! She easily captivated the audience and was one of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this musical! The every single person in the cast had a fantastic voice, every song was put together so beautifully, and (I know it is a little random) but I absolutely loved all of the costumes in it! I really enjoyed how inventive the staging was (especially in the song "Everybody Wants to be Black on a Saturday Night"). While the story was great, I could have done without the disheartening ending and then the upbeat last song. I felt that the sad ending paired with the happy song sent a confusing message. Other than that, the entire evening was such an enjoyable experience!

    ReplyDelete